If you don’t already watch Spy x Family online, you should definitely give this anime series a chance.
Fans of Tatsuya Endo’s funny and quirky action-comedy Shonen Jump manga series could tell that an anime adaptation was inevitable. And the anime series, which finally started streaming in April 2022, has not disappointed. We can help you find where to watch Spy x Family online. (Legally, that is. You will find no pirate sites here.)
For those not in the know, Spy x Family features a master spy, Twilight, who creates a fake family for an undercover mission in a Cold War-esque situation.
All three members of this phony family have secrets that they are hiding from the others. Loid Forger is a spy; his “wife” Yor is an assassin; and their cute adopted daughter Anya can read minds. Although Anya knows the scary truth about her adopted parents, she wants to maintain the ruse because she loves spy stories.
Undoubtedly, Anya is a huge part of the reason for Spy x Family’s popularity. Her every action is cute, funny, or just plain weird. For example, she utterly fails at “fake smiling.” She also has some great reactions when she has just mentally uncovered something shocking.
The series combines a good mixture of romantic comedy and spy action. As of June 2022, Endo had produced nine volumes, containing 61 “Missions” of the manga since 2019. So, there should be plenty of material for the anime to follow. The first season will be divided into two parts of 12 and 13 episodes each.
Where to Watch Spy x Family Online
You can’t watch Spy x Family on Netflix in the United States. But you can watch Spy x Family on Netflix in certain parts of Asia, including Japan and Indonesia. Although Netflix Japan doesn’t provide translation for many of its anime shows, Spy x Family is available in Japanese with English subtitles. Chinese subtitles are also available.
If you are in a region where Spy x Family isn’t available, you may need a VPN, such as NordVPN, in order to watch the series.
- Large library, including a lot of anime
- English subtitles available in this particular instance
- Not available in the U.S. without a VPN
- Netflix geo-locks content by region, and will block some VPNs
- No free trial period
- No translation available on some anime titles
Price: Basic, $9.99; Standard, $15.49; Premium, $19.99. Tier level affects video quality and resolution.
How to Watch Spy x Family on Netflix from the United States:
This method works on both desktop PCs and mobile phones or tablets.
- Purchase (or start a free trial) of a VPN. I can confirm that NordVPN works for this purpose.
- In the settings, choose Japan as your location.
- Fire up the VPN and wait for it to do its magic
- Once you’re connected, navigate to Netflix (browser or app)
- Search “Spy Family” in the Netflix search bar and you should see the anime pop up.
Enjoy! Please note that if your Netflix library doesn’t update to reflect the country you selected in your VPN, you may have to clear the Netflix cache first and try again.
To to do this on mobile, go to settings -> apps -> Netflix -> clear cache. To do this on PC, you have to clear the cache in your web browser.
I’ve had no trouble using this method, and I use NordVPN to watch anime from various Netflix country libraries.
In the United States, you can watch Spy x Family on Hulu. Hulu doesn’t specialize in anime, but the streaming service has a decent library. Hulu offers Spy x Family in Japanese with English subtitles.
Despite the similar name, Hulu Japan is not affiliated with U.S. Hulu.
- A decent library of anime
- Other, non-anime shows, including Hulu exclusives
- Bundled streaming packages available
- Free-trial period (length depends upon your preferences at sign-up)
- Only available in the United States
- Limited language options
Price: Free-trial period. Hulu with ads – $6.99/month. Without ads – $12.99/ month. Hulu, Live TV, Disney+, ESPN+ Bundle – $69.99/ month. Hulu, Live TV, Disney+, ESPN+ Bundle (no ads) – $79.99/ month.
NOTE: Keep an eye out for limited-time-only Hulu bargain deals, such as $1/ month for “National Streaming Day” in May.
Apparently, Disney+ also has Spy x Family, although I couldn’t find much information about it without signing up for the service.
Since Disney+ is owned by the same mouse who owns Hulu, we can safely assume that the quality and language options should be about the same. You can get Disney+ bundled with Hulu, or without bundling the two together. Unlike Hulu, the service is available in numerous countries, including the United States, Canada, Japan, the United Kingdom, France, Hong Kong, India, South Korea, Taiwan, etc.
According to reports, users have found that regional blocking isn’t a problem for most of Disney+. However, it’s not clear if this only applies exclusively to Disney shows.
- Disney, Pixar, Marvel, and Star Wars content
- Can download content for offline viewing
- Available internationally (in some countries)
- No ads
- Regional geo-locking may apply to some shows
- No free trial
Price: By itself: $7.99/ month, or $79.99/ year. Disney Bundle (Disney+ and Hulu with ads): $13.99/ month. Disney Bundle (without ads): $19.99/ month.
Crunchyroll simulcasts the first season of Spy x Family on Saturdays (Pacific Time). Premium members can watch the simulcast Japanese version with international subtitles. Non-members can still watch the first episodes for free. But the free option lags behind the premium version. (Otherwise, why bother to subscribe?)
In addition to the Japanese original, English, German, French, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish dubbed versions are also available. Dubbed versions come out after the original. Subtitles come in Arabic, German, English, Latin American Spanish, European Spanish, French, Italian, Brazilian Portuguese, and Russian. (You can also watch without subtitles.)
- Huge library of current and classic anime
- Subtitled and dubbed versions available
- Free, limited viewing options available
- Available worldwide, with some exceptions (see cons below)
- Some shows may not be available in all regions
Price: Free option with blockable ads; no account sign-in needed. Free, basic account (with blockable ads). Free 14-day trial premium subscription also available.
Subscriptions are $7.99/ month for “fan” level; $9.99/ month for “mega fan”; and $14.99/ month for “ultimate fan.”
How to Watch Spy x Family on Crunchyroll from Anywhere in the World:
If you live in Japan (ironically) or any other country where Crunchyroll doesn’t offer services, you can still access anime on the platform by using a VPN. The steps to do so are simple:
- Download a VPN (NordVPN works for this method)
- Clear your cache
- Choose the United States or Canada as your region in the VPN
- Log in to Crunchyroll and search for Spy x Family
You can watch Spy x Family on VRV. VRV is owned by Crunchyroll, so the language options are the same as with Crunchyroll. And it’s only available in the United States.
But it is an alternative if you really hate Crunchyroll for some reason (or if Crunchyroll is down). Like with Crunchyroll, you can watch without a subscription, although the free episodes lag behind the paid ones.
- Basically Crunchyroll, only less orange
- Mondo channel includes stuff that Crunchyroll doesn’t have
- Free options
- If you have Crunchyroll, you can link accounts
- Not available outside the United States
Price: Free account (with ads). Premium account 30-day free trial available. “Crunchyroll Only” account, $7.99. VRV Premium, $9.99.