If you want a good Pokemon anime (and you’ve already streamed Indigo League), you should watch Pokemon XY online.
Whether it’s the animation, or Ash’s relationship with Serena, online fans often rank Pokemon XY (including Kalos Quest and XYZ) as among their favorites.
Despite this high ranking, Pokemon XY can sometimes be tricky to find. This article will help you find where to legally stream this anime series. We will also explain how to use a VPN to watch Pokemon anime.
But first, you might be wondering, which Pokemon series is XY?
Pokemon XY Basics
Pokemon XY began in 2013. It’s also known as Pokemon the Series: XY to distinguish it from the game. It takes place in the Kalos Region, which is the Pokemon equivalent to France.
Prior to visiting Kalos, Ash Ketchum already visited the Indigo League and Orange Islands, plus the Johto, Hoenn, Kanto, Sinnoh, and Unova regions. In XY, he hasn’t been to the Alola or Galar regions yet.
Ash’s allies in this region include Clemont and Bonnie. Serena is the new Misty, May, or Dawn. She’s also the first companion to have an actual crush on him.
The Kalos episodes are divided into three seasons — XY, XY: Kalos Quest, and XYZ.
List of Places to Watch Pokemon XY Online
- Amazon Prime
- Google Play
Note: All of the places listed are legal, licensed websites. You will find no pirate sites here.
Where to Watch Pokemon XY Online
Netflix Hong Kong has all three seasons of Pokemon XY. Hong Kong’s version of Pokemon XY comes dubbed into more than a dozen languages. It also comes with more than 20 subtitle options. Oddly enough, one language that Hong Kong Pokemon doesn’t have is the original Japanese.
Hong Kong also doesn’t have Korean, but Netflix South Korea does.
How to Watch Pokemon XY on Netflix via VPN
This method works on both desktop PCs and mobile phones or tablets.
- Purchase (or start a free trial) of a VPN. I can confirm that NordVPN works for this purpose.
- In the settings, choose Hong Kong as your location.
- Fire up the VPN and wait for it to do its magic
- Once you’re connected, navigate to Netflix (browser or app)
- Search “Pokemon XY” in the Netflix search bar and you should see the anime pop up.
Enjoy! Please note that if your Netflix library doesn’t update to reflect the country you selected in your VPN, you may have to clear the Netflix cache first and try again.
To do this on mobile, go to settings -> apps -> Netflix -> clear cache. To do this on PC, you have to clear the cache in your web browser.
I’ve had no trouble using this method and I still use NordVPN to watch anime from various Netflix country libraries daily.
- All three seasons (in Hong Kong)
- Lots of language choices (in Hong Kong)
- A large list of anime and non-anime titles
- Pokemon XY is not available in all areas (but a VPN can fix that)
Language options: Dubbed in English, Brazilian Portuguese, Czech, Danish, Dutch, European Spanish, Finnish, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, and Turkish.
Subtitles in English, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Brazilian Portuguese, Danish, Dutch, European Spanish, Finnish, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, and Vietnamese.
Price: $9.99 basic; $15.49 standard; $19.99 premium.
If you’re in the United States, Hulu has XY, Kalos Quest, and XYZ. They are listed separately:
- XY — The 48 episodes of season 17 (if you count all Pokemon seasons from Indigo League on up as one long anime series)
- Kalos Quest — The 45 episodes of season 18
- XYZ — The 48 episodes of season 19
Hulu in the U.S. is a separate company from Hulu Japan. If you have a Hulu Japan account, you still need a Hulu U.S. subscription to watch these.
- All three seasons of XY available
- Free-trial period for new customers
- Only available in the United States
- Limited language options
Language options: English dubbed
Price: Multiple plans, including Hulu with ads, $7.99/ month; Hulu without ads, $14.99/ month. Hulu (with ads) Disney+ bundle , $13.99/ month; Hulu (without ads) Disney+ bundle, $19.99/ month. One-month free trial available for new customers.
You can buy official (not pirated) Pokemon XY episodes on YouTube. YouTube divides the series up into eight seasons of 11-12 episodes each, or 93 episodes total.
I know the above screenshot shows Pokemon Journeys, but that actually is YouTube’s main screen for XY.
YouTube considers XYZ to be a separate series, even though it takes place in Kalos and features the Kalos characters. You can find XYZ here.
- All three seasons available
- Not available in all areas
- English-dubbed only
- Buying is more expensive in the long run
- Since the price is the same for all seasons, you get a slightly worse deal for shorter seasons.
Language options: English dubbed
Price: SD episodes, $1.99; HD episodes, $2.99. Season SD, $19.99; Season HD $21.99.
4. Amazon Prime
Amazon Prime’s deal is similar to YouTube. They have eight “seasons.” Each season is 11-12 episodes long, and the episodes are English-dubbed only. Even the pricing structure is the same.
Amazon Prime lists XYZ as a separate series. You can find it here.
One major difference is that Amazon has “Prime Video Channels.” To access these channels, you have to buy Prime membership, and then add Pokemon as a channel.
- All three seasons of XY (XYZ comes separately)
- Buying is more expensive than subscribing
- English-dubbed episodes only
- Some Prime Video content not available in some areas outside the U.S.
- Amazon Prime Video + Pokemon price sounds good. But it ends up more expensive than many other streaming services over time
Language options: English dubbed
Price (buying): SD episodes, $1.99; HD episodes, $2.99. Season SD, $19.99; Season HD $21.99.
Price (subscription): Prime Video, $7.49/ month for three months, then $14.99/ month after. Pokemon channel has a free-trial for seven days, then $2.99/ month.
5. Google Play
Google Play offers Pokemon XY. Once again, it’s divided into 11-12 episode seasons, and you can buy individual episodes or a full season. The XYZ series is sold separately. You can find XYZ here.
- Can buy a permanent, digital copy of individual episodes
- Useful for Android users
- Costs more to buy than to stream.
Language options: English dubbed.
Price (buying): SD episodes, $1.99; HD episodes, $2.99. Season SD, $19.99; Season HD, $21.99.
I hope this list encourages you to watch Pokemon XY online. You might also want to check out our guide to the best Pokemon merch.
If you want to see the very beginning of the Pokemon anime, we also have a guide to watching Indigo League on Netflix.